Microsoft Imagine Academy
Learn Microsoft Office and technology skills online through the Microsoft Imagine Academy. This free program is available to all Washington State residents.
With Microsoft Imagine Academy, you have access to course videos, study guides and practices files for:
- Microsoft Office 2016 applications
- Learning paths for computer science, data science, and IT infrastructure
To use Microsoft Imagine Academy, visit Washington State Library’s sign-in page.
Complete the following steps:
- input your zip code
- under “Agency” select “Not a State Employee”
- check the box that says “I certify that I am an employee or resident of the State of Washington”
If you are using a Library computer, you will need to have headphones to take the online courses.
Microsoft Imagine Academy is a partnership between Microsoft and the Washington State Library, and is funded in part through the Washington State Legislature.
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) and Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certification Exams
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) and Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certifications are an industry recognized certification demonstrating one's proficiency to an employer or prospective college. MOS certifications validate one's tech knowledge in a Microsoft Office application. MTA certifications are for tech professionals with tracks in software development, databases (data platform administration and business intelligence), and IT infrastructure (desktop and server infrastructure, and private cloud computing). The Seattle Public Library is partnering with Washington State Library to offer free MOS and MTA certification exams as a part of the Microsoft Imagine Academy program.
For a limited time, exams are being offered virtually as Exams from Home (in person exams are not currently available) - please read Certiport’s Test Candidate Guide to ensure your device meets the technical requirements.
We offer the following certification exams:
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS):
- Access 2016
- Excel 2016
- Excel Expert 2016
- Outlook 2016
- PowerPoint 2016
- Word 2016
- Word Expert 2016
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA):
- Database Administration Fundamentals
- HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
- Introduction to Programming using HTML and CSS
- Introduction to Programming using Java
- Introduction to Programming using Python
- Mobility and Device Fundamentals
- Networking Fundamentals
- Security Fundamentals
- Software Development Fundamentals
- Windows Operating System Fundamentals
- Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
We have resources available to help you study:
- Preview the exam interface
- Review the Study Guides. Books are available to check out for Access, Excel, Excel Expert, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Word Expert. Email QIC-Tech@spl.org with the subject line “Study Resources" if you wish to receive instructions on how to download the study guides.
- Take a Lynda.com class online with your Library card.
- Take a LearnKey class online from home or by reserving a MOS/MTA practice computer on Level 5 of the Central Library. To reserve these computers, ask a staff member. Email QIC-Tech@spl.org with the subject line “Study Resources" if you wish to receive instructions on how access LearnKey from home.
- Take a practice test using GMetrix software from home or by reserving a MOS/MTA practice computer on Level 5 of the Central Library. To reserve these computers, ask a staff member. Email QIC-Tech@spl.org with the subject line “Study Resources" if you wish to receive instructions on how access GMetrix from home.
- Drop in for an intermediate Word or Excel class at your Library.
- Sign up for Tech Help to review one of the competencies in the Word or Excel Self Assessments.