• A Summer Home at Alki Point Washington, 1906

    A Summer Home at Alki Point Washington, 1906

    View of West Seattle residence at Alki Point with people posed on the front porch.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00602

    Date: 1906

    View this item
  • Union Station interior, ca. 1915

    Union Station interior, ca. 1915

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (the interior of which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" or "union depots" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01008

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Hotel Perry, 1909

    Hotel Perry, 1909

    Located at Madison Street and Boren Avenue, the Perry Hotel, also known as the Perry Apartments, was built in 1907. In 1916, the building was renovated to become the Columbus Sanitarium and renamed once again to Cabrini Hospital in the 1960s. The building was demolished in 1996. Transcribed from postcard: "Hotel Perry, Madison Street at Boren Avenue Seattle, European Plan, Rooms with Bath $2.00 per Day, B.H. Brobst Manager, 1909"

    Identifier: spl_pc_00807

    Date: 1909

    View this item
  • King Street Station, ca. 1909

    King Street Station, ca. 1909

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01004

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • King Street Station, ca. 1906

    King Street Station, ca. 1906

    During the early 1900's, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) The postcard captioning can be confusing because both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01014

    Date: 1906?

    View this item
  • Perry Hotel, ca. 1910

    Perry Hotel, ca. 1910

    Located at Madison Street and Boren Avenue, the Perry Hotel, also known as the Perry Apartments, was built in 1907. In 1916, the building was renovated to become the Columbus Sanitarium and renamed once again to Cabrini Hospital in the 1960s. The building was demolished in 1996.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00818

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • New Washington Hotel, ca. 1930

    New Washington Hotel, ca. 1930

    Transcribed from postcard: "In the heart of the theatrical and shopping district. Seattle's leading commercial & tourist hotel, all rooms with private bath. Tariff $3.00 per day and up. J.C. Marmaduke, Manager H.R. Warner. Ass't. Manager."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00802

    Date: 1930?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1915

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1915

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00320

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Hotel Lincoln, 1904

    Hotel Lincoln, 1904

    Hotel Lincoln was constructed in 1900 at the corner of 4th Avenue and Madison Street. The hotel was destroyed in a fire in 1920.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00804

    Date: 1904

    View this item
  • Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Between 1907 and 1912, Seattle's Providence Hospital built a large new brick building, at a cost of one million dollars. Designed by Somervell & Cote, it was a full-service hospital with six operating rooms and a nursing school.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00907

    Date: 1911

    View this item