Business, Finance & Fundraising
Find free online resources to help you start a business, apply for a grant or invest in the stock market.
Business, Finance & Fundraising Resources
- ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry Search here for the full text of industry and trade magazines, journals and newsletters. Includes up-to-date industry reports that detail trends, challenges, opportunities, financial benchmarks, and more.
- Best Customers Look up best customers for products and services by age, household income, education, and other demographic characteristics.
- Business Insights: Global Find companies and industries including financial data, industry rankings, statistics, and magazine articles.
- Business Plans Handbook Read examples of actual business plans written by entrepreneurs planning small businesses in the manufacturing, retail and service industries.
- Data Axle Reference Solutions Look up individuals and businesses in this extensive database covering U.S. and Canada. For business planning, use this database to identify competitors, prospects, suppliers, and partners by business type and geography. Also available via app.
- DemographicsNow Access U.S. demographic, consumer spending, and market segmentation reports with custom mapping features. Learn about your target customers, potential business locations, and more.
- Foundation Directory Online (FDO) - Professional Search this extensive database of nonprofit grants to locate prospective funders. Gain a deep understanding of a grantmaker’s funding interests, motivations and grant sizes in order to identify the best matched funders to approach. Accessible only at the Central Library, or by virtual appointment. Learn more here: www.spl.org/nonprofits
- Foundation Grants to Individuals Online (GTI) Locate foundations that provide scholarships, fellowships, grants, and a wide range of financial support to individuals, including artists, researchers, and students. Accessible only at the Central Library.
- Gale Business: Entrepreneurship Learn how to start, finance, or manage your small business. Includes sample business plans, how to guides, articles, and more.
- GuideStar Pro Use this comprehensive database to look up information on every nonprofit registered with the IRS as tax exempt, as well as data on former nonprofits. Accessible only at the Central Library.
- LinkedIn Learning Learn a new skill at your own pace, with thousands of courses covering animation, business skills, marketing, design, photography, programming and much more. Also available via app. Use ID: seattlepl
- Morningstar Investment Research Center Get up-to-date information about stocks, funds and other investment options, plus calculators and tools to help you manage your portfolio.
- O'Reilly Complete Public Library Improve your computer and business skills. Access nearly 50,000 titles, including 7,000 videos about computing, databases, programming, web design and more. Formerly Safari Books Online. Website only - Not available via app.
- RMA eStatement Studies Find benchmark financial statements and ratios for businesses. These studies provide detailed financial data to help entrepreneurs and startups create strategic plans and compare them to real-world measures.
- Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce Get online access to the Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce for local information on business, construction, real estate, engineering, architecture, and more.
- Value Line Get investment ratings, research, statistics and forecasts for thousands of stocks and mutual funds.
- WOIS/The Career Information System Find current Washington state salaries, training requirements and educational programs for a wide variety of occupations, plus tools to help you choose a career.
Sign up for our email newsletters
Get the latest about Library events, new programs and services and other Library news delivered to your inbox.Sign up now
If you need help or have a question or suggestion, we want to hear from you. You can reach Library staff by chat, email or phone during open hours.