• King Street Station, ca. 1911

    King Street Station, ca. 1911

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01013

    Date: 1911

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Street view of the Federal Building in downtown Seattle with the White-Henry-Stuart Building and the Pantages Theatre in the background. Construction on the Federal Building (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office) began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00413

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Street view of City Hall Park, Frye Hotel, the King County Courthouse and Smith Tower. The Frye Hotel was constructed in 1911 and designed by the architects Charles H. Bebb and Louis L. Mendel. The project was funded by Seattle pioneer George F. Frye and his wife Louisa Denny Frye, for whom the hotel is named. The hotel was converted to low income housing in the 1970s. The Smith Tower opened in 1914 and was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962. The tower was designed by the Gaggin and Gaggin architectural firm. The King County Courthouse opened in 1916 and was constructed by architect A. Warren Gould. Additional stories were eventually added to the five story structure seen here during renovations in the 1930s.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00214

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Northern Life Tower, ca. 1930

    Northern Life Tower, ca. 1930

    One of the tallest and most beautiful buildings of the West, is the home of the Northern Life Insurance Co., originators of the Complete Coverage Insurance Policy Idea. The building stand at the corner of Third Avenue and University Street, Seattle, 429 feet above sea level and commands a sweeping view of the Puget Sound country. [Constructed between 1928 and 1929.]

    Identifier: spl_pc_00228

    Date: 1930?

    View this item
  • Carroll's Fine Jewelry, ca. 1970

    Carroll's Fine Jewelry, ca. 1970

    Jensen, Max R.

    Transcribed from postcard: "Carroll's Fine Jewelry. Thomas J. Carroll founded his store in Seattle in 1895 during the Gold Rush days. Through the years, four generations of the Carroll family have served the jewelry needs of their many customers and friends with integrity and pride in the jewelers art. This stately green and gold street clock, a landmark in Seattle, stands at the doorway of the store still owned and operated by Carroll family members."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00233

    Date: 1970?

    View this item
  • Seattle waterfront, ca. 1915

    Seattle waterfront, ca. 1915

    Transcribed from front of postcard: "Seaport of Seattle, showing the 42 Story L.C. Smith Building and central portion of Water Front." Transcribed from back of postcard: "42- Story L.C. Smith Building Seattle. Great View from Observation Floor and Balcony."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00211

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, ca. 1965

    Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, ca. 1965

    Carkonen, George

    Transcribed from postcard: "Interior icons on gold-leaf were executed in 13th century Byzantine Style on Mount Athos, the Holy Mountain of Orthodoxy."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00305

    Date: 1965?

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Street view of the Federal Building in downtown Seattle (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office Building). Construction on the Federal Building began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00410

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • 14th Ave. N. looking north to Volunteer Park water tower, ca. 1913

    14th Ave. N. looking north to Volunteer Park water tower, ca. 1913

    The home at the far right is located at 720 14th Ave. E. The home in the distance with the cupola is 806 14th Ave. E. The Volunteer Park water tower can be seen in the distance.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00607

    Date: 1913?

    View this item
  • New Washington Hotel, ca. 1909

    New Washington Hotel, ca. 1909

    Transcribed from spl_pc_00802: "In the heart of the theatrical and shopping district. Seattle's leading commercial & tourist hotel, all rooms with private bath. Tariff $3.00 per day and up. J.C. Marmaduke, Manager H.R. Warner. Ass't. Manager."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00823

    Date: 1909?

    View this item