Race & Social Justice
We participate in the Mayor’s Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) to promote and support racial equity in our workplace. Our Change Team is working to make sure we hire employees and contractors from diverse backgrounds, and that we offer programs relevant to all cultures in our community.
What Is RSJI?
Seattle’s Race and Social Justice Initiative is a city-wide program that helps bring more diversity to government and organizations. It focuses on improving workplace culture, and improving communication with the many diverse cultures in our community.
We’ve created a team focused on race and social justice, and its job includes:
- Studying how race impacts our workplace culture and processes
- Reducing racist practices
- Working to hire workers and contractors that reflect Seattle’s diverse cultures
- Creating programs for our multi-cultural community
- Communicating about our programs through neighborhood activities, or foreign-language media
How else does the Library Listen?
We hold Community Conversations to explain our upcoming plans and get your feedback. You are invited to attend these meetings and to share your experiences and suggestions, so we can design programs that meet the community’s needs.
If you have a question or need help, Ask Us or call 206-386-4636.